Friday, January 28, 2011

The first step is admitting you have a problem...

You know how when you’re starting off in a relationship, it’s all warm fuzzies, I love you, no I love you more, want to know everything there is to know about you? I’m there. Yes, it’s true that there are others; faithful old loves that I know inside and out and they still thrill me – La bohème, Turandot, Aïda… the list goes on. This is something new though; unexpected… intriguing. I can’t seem to get enough. It’s official. There’s no use denying it…

I am a raving, self-admitted Rusalka-holic.

Any others out there? I love the sheer beauty of the orchestration; you hear it and suddenly you’re in this magical world with water nymphs and wood sprites. I’m not quite sure what the difference is between a nymph and a sprite, but that’s beside the point. I love that it’s in Czech; the language becomes part of the characters as they sing. It’s unusual enough to keep you entranced for all three acts. Most of all though, I love the story. It’ll rip your heart right out, but heck, every girl loves a good cry now and then. Guys, you’re welcome to join in the sobbing; high fives are generally accepted too. In Rusalka, we’ve got opera doing what opera does best; emotional rollercoaster storytelling… with nymphs and sprites.

--Cherity Koepke

More information about Rusalka is available at http://www.operacolorado.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment