Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Krazy for Kolache

Growing up in Texas, which has a sizable Czech population, there have always been kolaches (koh-LA-cheez). I didn’t know where this delicious pastry was from, and barely understood that I myself was of Czech descent. I just knew that some mornings, there was a warm, yummy pastry waiting for me.

In researching Czech food, I could hardly avoid dedicating an entire post to what has become in the US a symbol of the Czech people. Cities across America have Kolache Festivals, including cities in Texas, Nebraska and Oklahoma.
If you’ve never had a kolache, you can pick one up at the Kolache Factory in Lakewood. They’re a square pastry with an indentation on the top for some type of filling – usually fruit or cheese. There’s also a meat-based kolache, which is a sweet roll wrapped around meat and cheese.

In Czech, koláče is actually plural; the singular form is koláč (koh-LAHCH). And koláče typically refers to any type of sweet cake.

If you’re feeling ambitious, I found a recipe for “authentic” kolache – if you try it, let us know how it turned out!

-Heather Tinley, Opera Colorado Marketing Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment